Sunday, October 6, 2013

Writing tools #1

This is a new set of posts that will be about random tools used for writing. They will include actual tools such as devices, programs and software as well as random techniques that I use to help improve my writing.

Today, I'll talk about the Ipod touch and the Bluetooth keyboard. If you have never used a touch-screen writing program, you are missing out. Try it. Here is the setup I use.












Living in Japan and commuting to work via the trains makes this an invaluable tool. Beyond that, I use it to write while I walk (which is a good way to relieve stress) as well as while at work. It is easy to transfer data from the Ipod touch to my computer, and that makes life easy.

One of the things that I find myself using it more that I thought I would? Those pesky ideas that pop into my head in the middle of the night. I keep it next to my bed (beside the alarm clock) while I sleep, so if I ever have an idea while I sleep, I roll over, turn it on and begin to type. I use the free typing program called Docs, and it works wonders.

Before you say that you don't like touch-screens or that your fingers are too thick, try it. You may be pleasantly surprised. They keyboard is for when I'm sitting at my desk at work or on the train. It is also, wonderful.


I hope you have a chance to try out this wonderful resource.

Thanks for reading,
Travis

Next: The ear test

No comments:

Post a Comment