Monday, October 14, 2013

Writing resources #9



Today, I just want to talk a little bit about queries.

Here are the two query resources that really helped me beyond my friends and critique partners.

Agent Query

Query Shark


Being still new to queries myself, these two resources have been invaluable.

I'll start with Agent Query.
-First of all, it gave me a basic structure to follow in order to come up with my query letter. (Though, my real starting point was the One Page Synopsis as it gave me a good idea of what my story was about)
-Then it showed me how I should address my letters.
-Finally, it gave me a good database of where to find the agents to send the query letters to.

Next up is Query Shark.
-After getting the basic law of the land down with my query letter, I went about having my friends help me clean it up.
-After one of them suggested that I check out Query Shark, I was able to create a more polished and presentable query.
-Query Shark offers critiques to various types of queries. The shark talks about what works in a query as well as what doesn't. The vast archives allowed me to refine my query by looking at queries similar to my own in one aspect or another.

Even if you don't plan on going for an agent, I'd consider checking these two websites out just to add another tool to your belt. Because in the end, there isn't much of a difference between the base of a query letter and a blurb that entices readers into buying your book.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for reading,
Travis


Next: The ellipsis


No comments:

Post a Comment