Friday, October 18, 2013

Writing resource #11

Today, I want to talk about sound!

Bang!

Click!

Thwack!



There is a difference between describing a sound and writing words that show the sound.

Writing Sound 

Writing Sound is an amazing resource that lists 'sound' words and a small description of each. When you read those words aloud, it gives your head the image of the action. Sure, describing sound is a good tool, but it is never good to limit yourself to just one tool.

While writing, I will often use Writing Sound like I use Word Hippo. {     } plus a description of the sound I want to use. I'll comb through Writing Sound when I get home and replace the {    }ed description with a word that fits the sound I wanted the reader to hear. I'll of course run it through The Ear Test, and if it passes, I move on.

I love this resource, and I'd suggest giving it a try.

Thanks for reading,
Travis


Next: describing a character's voice



No comments:

Post a Comment